Graduate FAQs

Get the answers you need

Q: Why am I having trouble registering for a graduate NURS course?

There are several potential reasons that you are not able to register.  Please review the points below to see if one of them may apply to your situation.  

  1. Check to ensure that you have selected the correct session.  There is a drop down menu in SSC to select "2015 Summer" or "2015 Winter".
  2. Do you have any outstanding fees that need to be paid?  There may be a financial hold on your account.  You can check this under "Financial Summary" in SSC.
  3. Some courses have restrictions to reserve seats for students in certain programs.  You can view the restrictions on the course page in the UBC Course Schedule under "Restricted Seats".  If you still have questions or need assistance, please contact
Q: Why is a graduate course shown as "restricted"?

Some courses have restrictions to reserve seats for students in certain programs.  You can view the restrictions on the course page in the UBC Course Schedule under "Restricted Seats".   For example, a course may have 15 seats restricted for MSN students and 15 seats restricted for MN students.  If you are an MSN student and all 15 MSN restricted seats are full, you will not be able to register for the course and you will need to go on the waitlist.  Please contact for assistance.

Q: Why is a course shown as “blocked”?

This is the message that appears when a department has removed student access to the course since it has reached its initial registration limit.  Please contact for assistance.

Q: How do I register for a graduate Nursing course as a non-Nursing UBC student?

In order to register for a Nursing course as a non-Nursing UBC student, there are a couple steps you need to do:

  • Email and obtain permission from the course instructor
  • Email and obtain permission from your graduate program advisor
  • Forward both email approvals to

Once both approvals are received, Student Services will register you, if space permits.


Q: What is the process for requesting a graduate Directed Study course?

Review the Guidelines for Independent/Directed Studies in Nursing for procedures to request a Directed Study.

Q: When will I know my graduation ceremony date and time?

The Fall schedule is available in September and the Spring schedule is available in February on the Graduation at UBC website.  More personalized information will be available on the Student Service Center (SSC) nearer to the ceremony.

Q: How do I get my key card to access the student spaces?

You can now pay your Student Space Key Card Deposit via the School of Nursing e-Payment System.

  • Go to
  • Select “Key card Deposit Form” (in Step 2)
  • Fill in your First & Last Name, Email,  and UBC Student number
  • Select “Proceed to UBC e-Payment Site”
  • You can pay with major credit card (Mastercard or Visa), or pay directly from your bank account using INTERAC online
  • You will receive an email from the School of Nursing Administration Office (T201) when your key card is available for pick up.
Q: What student spaces do I have access to?

As a student in the School of Nursing, you have access to 3 informal student learning spaces dedicated just to you!

  • Nurses’ Lounge” brought to you by the GSNA & NUS (T252) – Group study / hangout, microwaves, fridge, coffee maker, TV, copier, computer terminals with access to printers.

  • Student Computer Lab (T295) – Computer Lab access for all students, used for classes, tutorials, or individual / group student work. SPSS available on 8 workstations.

  • Student Conference Room (T293A) – Silent study & student meetings.


Q: What do I do if I need help quickly?

Student Health Services & Counselling Services have urgent care options for student emergencies

If you are experiencing an emergency always call 911

Also keep these numbers in mind:

  • UBC Mobile First Aid - 604-822-4444
  • UBC Campus Security - 604-822-2222
  • UBC Hospital Urgent Care - 604-822-7222
  • Ambulance - 604-872-5151
  • Campus Fire Department - 604-665-6010
  • UBC RCMP Detachment - 604-224-1322 (non-emergency only)

Finally, these resources from UBC Student Health are available to students experiencing an after-hours emergency

Urgent care - Student Health Service reserves several same-day appointments each day for sudden illness and urgent care. The type of cases we see at that time tend to be sudden illnesses that interfere with your ability to function as a student. Please use these times for unexpected illnesses only.

After-hour emergencies - If you are a patient at Student Health Service and you have an urgent concern that cannot wait until the clinic opens, please call 604.822.7121 and ask to speak to the doctor on call.

Counselling Services reserves same day emergency appointments for urgent concerns.

What are urgent concerns? Urgent concerns are problems or issues that must be dealt with immediately, such as imminent safety concerns.

How to access emergency appointments? You can request an emergency appointment by calling Counselling Services reception at 604.822.3811 or visiting the office in person at 1040 Brock Hall.

After-hour emergencies - If you call Counselling Services at 604.822.3811 after hours, you will have the option of being linked to the Vancouver Crisis Line.

Q: What are the steps for Conflict/Issues Resolution?

In the event of a conflict or issue at the School of Nursing, we suggest you follow these guidelines:

  1. Identify the issue and start keeping objective notes for yourself.
  2. Approach the person most directly involved with clear, non-judgmental feedback and request for a discussion of your concerns.
  3. If appropriate, involve your program's Student Advisor early in the process for support and help with accessing required resources.
  4. If not satisfied with the outcome, go to the next appropriate individual and inform the person you initially consulted that you are doing so.
  5. If no resolution occurs at this level, take you concerns to the Associate Director and inform the individuals involved that you will be doing so.
  6. If still not satisfied with the resulting decisions, contact the Director of the School of Nursing and inform the individuals involved that you will be doing so.

Please familiarize yourself with College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia, Resolving Professional Practice Problems resource for more information.

Q: How do I evaluate my instructors & my courses?

As is the case with student evaluation, setting up ongoing dialogue to discuss learning goals, strategies, and concerns is a healthy, and professional, way for students, faculty, and practice colleagues to proceed in all courses. We encourage you to take your questions and concerns about a course, instructor, and/or practice situation first to the instructor involved.

Continue reading to learn more about Course & Teacher Effectiveness Evaluations, UBC online Student Evaluation of Teaching (SEoT) System - CoursEval, and the UBC Senate Policy on SEoT

It is important for you to note that formalized Course and Teacher Effectiveness Evaluations are a vital component of ongoing course and teaching faculty development in the School of Nursing. Student input regarding the strengths and areas for improvement is reviewed and utilized in making decisions and planning for change. Collecting this input allows the School of Nursing to comply with institutional academic policy, make decisions related to curriculum and course planning, and incorporate student input regarding teaching effectiveness as a core component of teaching faculty promotion and tenure.

Electronic course and teacher effectiveness evaluations are a required element of your course and the School of Nursing invites you to provide your input using the UBC CoursEval Online Evaluation System. All ‘Course’ and ‘Teacher Effectiveness’ evaluations are completed online and all responses are confidential.

How to Complete a Course or Instructor Evaluation:

At the end of each term, you will receive an email prompting you to evaluate each course & the instructors involved.
Access CoursEval through this email, or go to: UBC Health Sciences CoursEval
You will need to use your Campus Wide Login (CWL) to access the system.
If you are having difficulties with CoursEval, you are not connected to the correct clinical instructor, or have any other issue/questions, please email:

Q: What do I do if I encounter negative behavior or bullying in clinical practice settings or instruction-related issues?

The Practice Education Guidelines for BC has clear guidelines around Negative Behaviour in the Practice Setting. If a student experiences any form of negative behaviour with a Health Care Organization (HCO) staff member, patient or other student, they should:

  • Not ignore it or assume it will go away by itself.
  • Tell the person that the behaviour is unwelcome and request that the behaviour(s) stop, if the student feels safe to do so.
  • Immediately report the situation to the Post Secondary Institution (PSI) Educator or Health Care Organization Educator.
  • Keep a record of all relevant facts including the date, time, and location of the incident(s). If possible, obtain the names of any witnesses.
  • If a request to stop does not resolve the matter or if the student is not able to address the problem with the individual concerned, the student should bring the complaint to the supervising PSI Educator or HCO Educator for immediate investigation and follow-up.
  • If the student feels unsafe in the practice environment, they should immediately inform the HCO Educator and/or HCO Unit Manager and leave the environment. In this situation, the student must immediately inform the PSI Educator or Liaison.

All of the clinical instructors are professional nurses and work within the CRNBC Professional Standards and take student concerns seriously.

In case where you feel that practice related issues have not been resolved, or cannot be addressed directly, refer to practice leader (in the larger clinical courses) or course leader (in the smaller clinical courses).

Q: Who can I contact in case of course-relates issues?

Take questions and concerns about specific course issues to the course leader. If the issues have not been resolved or cannot be addressed directly, you can contact the appropriate level coordinator.

If you are experiencing academic difficulties contact the BSN Program Student Academic Advisor.

Q: What is Connect? How do I locate other Learning Resources?

UBC Connect is application of e-learning technology . There are variety of ways technology has been integrated including as a primary means of delivering courses and programs (distance learning), to support and enhance face-to-face learning experiences (blended learning) and to support the self-directed and self-regulated learning of students and faculty.

***Please familiarize yourself with our Academic Resources***

Q: How do I find out more about UBC resources?

In addition to the support services provided to BSN students by the School of Nursing, you also have access to a plethora of resources through UBC Student Services & your Enrolment Services Professional

Examples of services provided include:

To learn more, talk to your ESP, or visit UBC School of Nursing Student Support Office

Q: How do I look for jobs at UBC?

The Centre for Student Involvement & Careers (CSIC) in Brock Hall has resources for students on resume advising, career counseling and employer information sessions for most programs.

The CSIC also has a job postings board called Careers Online which is free & exclusive for UBC Students & Alumni. You will need your CWL to login.

Q: How do I search for ESN jobs in Health Authorities?

An Employed Student Nurse (ESN) is a paid employment experience that allows students to consolidate the knowledge and skills learned in school while gaining increased exposure to the clinical setting. Although the focus is on consolidation, as an ESN you will also learn through hands on experience.

Please note that UBC School of Nursing has very specific policies on working as an ESN. Please review this policy carefully prior to beginning your search.   

Each Health Authority recruits their own applicants for ESN Positions. You can learn more visititing:

Q: What is Plagiarism?

"Plagiarism, which is intellectual theft, occurs where an individual submits or presents the oral or written work of another person as his or her own. Scholarship quite properly rests upon examining and referring to the thoughts and writings of others."  (From UBC Academic Calendar: Academic Misconduct)

Q: What is the CNSA?

 "The Canadian Nursing Students' Association (CNSA) is the national voice of Canadian nursing students. …..As a member of CNSA, you have the opportunity to interact with other nursing students on educational, professional, and social levels. CNSA members connect with each other through annual national and regional conferences, CNSA member forums, Facebook, and Twitter."

Please visit the CNSA Website to learn more.

All UBC BSN Students have the opportunity to join the CNSA.

Q: What is Clinical Practice and Simulation Lab?

The Clinical Practice and Simulation Lab (CSL) supports teaching and acquisition of required skills and competencies for professional nursing practice. The CSL provides resources and materials for students’ interactive and self-regulated learning. It is a risk free and well supported environment removed from the highly complex and dynamic clinical setting, where students come to learn and practice a range of nursing skills and procedures from physical assessment to wound dressing. Practice lab activities are designed to foster the students’ application of critical thinking and integration of knowledge along with the psychomotor practice of skills.

Located in the School of Nursing, the CSL is comprised of a 20-bed simulated clinical environment with the capacity to be set up in different configurations to support a variety of contexts and specific skills, and which has a number of sophisticated mannequins, models and simulators.


Q: What do I do in case of Emergency at the School of Nursing?

There is a list of emergency phone numbers and instructions located in each room.

SoN is located on the third floor of the acute care hospital (Koerner Pavilion). In case of fire or other emergency all hospital fire and safety protocols must be observed. Please familiarize yourself with the information provided in the safety folder. Overhead speakers located in the hallways will announce and provide information during emergencies.

In case of fire (Code Red) locate the appropriate exits closest to you. Remain in the area and continue normal activities until instructed otherwise or the evacuation alarm is sounded. Ensure the door to the room is closed and that the lab personnel or lab instructor is aware of your presence.

If needing to evacuate (e.g. fire alarm rings continuously at 120 strokes per minute) immediately evacuate to the closest safe stairway exit and leave the building. Regroup in the parking lot outside the MacDonald Building (Dentistry). Classes should stay in a group with a faculty member and wait for further instructions.

Q: Where I can find UBC School of Nursing policies and procedures?

 The UBC School of Nursing Policies and other information are available under the “Current Students” section of the website.


Q: What is expected from students in terms of Professional Conduct?

Professional conduct is required of all students in the School of Nursing.  Students are in a program that ensures that graduates can meet the CRNBC Professional Standards for Registered Nurses and Nurse Practitioners and maintain the practice competencies required to be eligible for professional licensure as Registered Nurses in the province of British Columbia. As future members of a profession, current students are required to act professionally.

Q: How to obtain UBC e-mail address?

The new Student Email Service is an optional combination of email aliasing and UBC hosted mailbox. Users of this service can obtain a UBC email address, 

Please note, it is now required that all BSN Students use the UBC provided email service as their primary mode of communication with UBC, the School of Nursing, and the BSN Program. This requirement has been put into place as of August 2014 to comply with requirements placed by the Health Authorities for facilitating clinical practice placements.

The forwarding service is not an option for BSN Students, as built in SPAM filters block group communications through HSPnet & Health Authority sites.

***Please familiarize yourself with UBC Student and Alumni email service***

Q: How do I find out where my classes are?

The following map (LINK) shows the rooms most often used as classrooms for NURS Courses on the 3rd Floor of the UBC Hospital Koerner Pavilion (where the UBC School of Nursing is located).

Another great resource is the UBC Wayfinding tool  - which allows you to locate rooms and buildings across all UBC Campuses. Way finding even has a handy Phone App