Nursing Artifacts and Nurses' Uniforms: Preserving Nurses' Cultural History
A Symposium in Honor of the BC History of Nursing Society's 30th Anniversary
Date: 30 Apr 2020
Presented by: Keynote Speaker: Christina Bates, former curator of the Canadian Museum of History and author of A Cultural History of the Nurse's Uniform
Room: Cecil Green Park House, 6251 Green Park Road, UBC Vancouver
Time: 9:30am - 2pm
Please register by Monday, April 27, 2020: Regular $10 Student and Retirees $5 (If you require assistance in registering, please contact 604.822.7747)
Schedule of Events
09:30: Registration & Refreshments
10:00: Welcome and Opening Remarks by
- Kathy Murphy, President, BC History of Nursing Society
- Geertje Boschma, Professor, UBC School of Nursing
10:00: Keynote Address by Christina (Tina) Bates, former curator of the Canadian Museum of History, Ottawa
"Nursing History Embodied: Collecting and Researching a Uniform Collection"
- Tina Bates will present the Canadian History Collection of 1,800 artifacts, with a focus on its 52 uniforms from nursing schools across Canada. She will demonstrate material culture methods that can tease out meaning from artifacts. Based on her book, A Cultural History of the Nurse’s Uniform, she will examine the role of the uniform in creating nursing identity over one hundred years. The uniform was an active participant in the changing culture of nursing work and thought.
- Following the presentation, there will be time for discussion with the audience.
11:30: Fashion Show of Nurses’ Uniforms
- Facilitated by the members of the BC History of Nursing Society, and introduced by Lynne Esson
Closing Remarks by Kathy Murphy and Geertje Boschma
Throughout the program: Displays of published works and artifacts on nursing history