Placements & Partners
The UBC Bachelors of Science in Nursing program will provide you with a combination of theoretical courses and opportunities to apply and consolidate your skills in hospital and community-based healthcare settings.
As a UBC nursing student, you will be exposed to a variety of clinical learning opportunities under the supervision of highly qualified instructors in group placements and a RN preceptor(s) in the consolidated final practicum.
Click here to learn more about the program and curriculum structure.
Term 1 students complete a 13-week professional practice course in Term 1 (Fall) that provides a foundation for clinical skills development.
Placement options for Level I fall into the following category:
- NURS 360 - Nursing Practice with Adults/Older Adults & their Families
In Term 2 (Winter) students complete two 13-week professional practice courses that will run concurrently.
Placement options for Term 2 fall into the below categories:
- NURS 365 - Nursing Practice with Childbearing Individuals and Families
- NURS 366 - Nursing Practice with: Infants, Children, Youth & their Families
Term 3 (Spring/Summer) students complete an 11- week professional practice course.
Placement options for Term 3 fall into the following category:
- NURS 361 - Nursing Practice with Adults/Older Adults Experiencing Acute Health Challenges
Term 4 (Fall) students complete two 13-week professional practices courses that will run concurrently.
- NURS 362 - Nursing Practice in Primary Health Care Context
- NURS 363 - Nursing Practice with People Living with Mental Health Challenges
In Term 5 (Winter) students complete their final professional practice course - NURS 427 - Final Consolidated Practicum. Students are assigned to a clinical preceptor and complete 312 hours of consolidated practice in a diverse range of placement settings in the Metro Vancouver area or with our clinical partners nationwide.
Clinical placements are coordinated in partnership with health authorities, academic institutions and clinical associates through the Health Sciences Placement Network (HSPnet) system. UBC partners with health authorities across Metro Vancouver and throughout Canada to deliver world-class practice education experiences.
In your final consolidated practicum, you may have the opportunity to seek placements outside Metro Vancouver based on meeting specific criteria. Please speak with your course leader to inquire about potential opportunities.
Here are some examples of the institutions that we partner with:
- Abbotsford Regional Hospital and Cancer Centre
- Burnaby Hospital
- Chilliwack General Hospital
- Delta Hospital
- Eagleridge Hospital
- Fraser Canyon Hospital
- Langley Memorial Hospital
- Mission Memorial Hospital
- Peace Arch Hospital
- Ridge Meadows Hospital
- Royal Columbia Hospital
- Surrey Memorial Hospital
- BC Children's Hospital
- BC Women's Hospital
- Holy Family Hospital
- Mount Saint Joseph Hospital
- St. Paul's Hospital
- Downtown Community Health Centre
- Dr. Peter Centre West End
- GF Strong Rehabilitation Centre
- Evergreen Community Health Centre
- Lions Gate Hospital
- Pacific Spirit Community Health Centre
- Pender Community Health Centre
- Ravensong Community Health Centre
- Richmond Hospital
- Richmond Public Health
- Robert & Lily Lee Family Community Health Centre
- South Community Health Centre
- Squamish Hospital
- Three Bridges Community Health Centre
- Vancouver General Hospital
- UBC Hospital
- Whistler Healthcare Centre