Placements & Partners
The UBC Bachelors of Science in Nursing program will provide you with a combination of theoretical courses and opportunities to apply and consolidate your skills in hospital and community-based healthcare settings.
As a UBC nursing student, you will be exposed to a variety of clinical learning opportunities under the supervision of highly qualified instructors in group placements and a RN preceptor(s) in the consolidated final practicum.
Click here to learn more about the program and curriculum structure.
Level 1 students complete a 13-week professional practice course in Term 1 (Fall) that provides a foundation for clinical skills development.
Placement options for Level I fall into the following category:
- NURS 303 - Adult/Older Adult
Level II students complete four 6-week rotations throughout Term 2-3 (Spring-Summer - Rotation A/B/C/D).
Level III students complete two 6-week rotations (NURS 333 – NURS 337) throughout Term 4 (Fall - Rotation E/F).
Placement options for Level II/III fall into 5 categories:
- NURS 333 - Maternity
- NURS 334 - Pediatrics
- NURS 335 - Mental Health
- NURS 336 - Community
- NURS 337 - Adult/Older Adult
Level IV students choose one category for their upper-level 6-week clinical focus course.
The placement options for the clinical focus course fall into 5 categories:
- NURS 420 - Adult/Older Adult
- NURS 422 - Maternity
- NURS 423 - Pediatrics
- NURS 424 - Mental Health
- NURS 425 - Community
In the NURS 427 - Final Consolidated Practicum, students are assigned to a clinical preceptor and complete 240 hours of consolidated practice in a diverse range of placement settings in the Metro Vancouver area or with our clinical partners nationwide.
Clinical placements are coordinated in partnership with health authorities, academic institutions and clinical associates through the Health Sciences Placement Network (HSPnet) system. UBC partners with health authorities across Metro Vancouver and throughout Canada to deliver world-class practice education experiences.
In your final consolidated practicum, you may have the opportunity to seek placements outside Metro Vancouver based on meeting specific criteria. Please speak with your course leader to inquire about potential opportunities.
Here are some examples of the institutions that we partner with:
- Abbotsford Regional Hospital and Cancer Centre
- Burnaby Hospital
- Chilliwack General Hospital
- Delta Hospital
- Eagleridge Hospital
- Fraser Canyon Hospital
- Langley Memorial Hospital
- Mission Memorial Hospital
- Peace Arch Hospital
- Ridge Meadows Hospital
- Royal Columbia Hospital
- Surrey Memorial Hospital
- BC Children's Hospital
- BC Women's Hospital
- Holy Family Hospital
- Mount Saint Joseph Hospital
- St. Paul's Hospital
- Downtown Community Health Centre
- Dr. Peter Centre West End
- GF Strong Rehabilitation Centre
- Evergreen Community Health Centre
- Lions Gate Hospital
- Pacific Spirit Community Health Centre
- Pender Community Health Centre
- Ravensong Community Health Centre
- Richmond Hospital
- Richmond Public Health
- Robert & Lily Lee Family Community Health Centre
- South Community Health Centre
- Squamish Hospital
- Three Bridges Community Health Centre
- Vancouver General Hospital
- UBC Hospital
- Whistler Healthcare Centre