Nursing, Level B
I currently teach in the undergraduate program as Co-lead for Theoretical Perspective in Nursing: Complexities in Seniors Care and both the acute care and community clinical practice courses as well as the lab setting relative to clinical competencies. My key role in the community clinical practice setting is facilitating a broad range of community partnerships within which students can learn about various populations and engage in healthcare support and teaching. My current active partnerships are with Diabetes Canada, Mount Pleasant Neighbourhood House ESL Conversation Club, Developmental Disabilities day program and Community Apartments and outreach programs such as Don’t Go Hungry, Evelyne Saller, Gathering Place and Union Gospel Mission.
MN, Athabasca University
BSN, University of Victoria
- Canadian National Examination for Clinical Nurse Educator (CCNE) November 2017
- Canadian National Examination for Clinical Instructor Certificate September 2014
- Canadian National Examination for Nurse Educator Certificate May 2014
- University of British Columbia Continuing Studies
- Certificate in Practice Education for Health and Human Services 2006
- CASN Abstract Reviewer 2020
- Interprofessional Education (IPE) Weekend Aphasia Camp Faculty support 2010 - ongoing
- Nursing Faculty support for Health Mentors IPE Initiative 2019 - ongoing
- Member BC Nursing History
- Canadian Association for the History of Nursing (CAHN)
Awards and Honours
- Outstanding Regional Partnership Award (2020) - by Diabetes Canada - BC & Yukon Regional Awards Committee for work completed by the School's Diabetes Awareness Risk Assessment teams in 2018 and 2019.
International Conference Poster Presentation
The Gerontological Society of America (GSA) 2020 Annual Scientific Meeting Online. Learning Together During a Pandemic Lockdown: Connecting Older Mentors with Nursing Students. Dr. Alison Phinney and Frances Affleck
International Conference Symposium Plenary Speaker
3rd International Conference Nursing and Science, Los Angeles 2019. "Wellness Wednesdays” - Clinical Teaching and Learning. Frances Affleck and Ranjit Dhari
Provincial Conference Presenter
BC History of Nursing Symposium Legacy Panel 2019. “Wellness Wednesday” A New Frontier Same Tenets of Care. Frances Affleck and Ranjit Dhari
Scholarship: Publications and Presentations
Submitted for Publication: Social Constructs that Impact the Professional and Social Developmental Process of a Clinical Instructor. Frances Affleck
Roundtable Western & North Western Region Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing Conference 2014. Building a Supportive Community for Clinical Teachers. Frances Affleck, Kathy Oflynn-Magee, Monica Swanson.
Dahlke S., Baumbusch J., Affleck F., Kwon J. (2012). The Clinical Instructor Role in Nursing Education: A Structured Literature Review. J Nurs Educ. 51(12) 692-696. doi: 10.3928/01484834-20121022-01 [link]
Poster Presentation Western & North Western Region Canadian Association of Schools of Nursing Conference 2012. Social Constructs that Impact the Professional and Social Developmental Process of a Clinical Instructor. Frances Affleck
I teach in the undergraduate program in the medical/surgical and Community clinical practice courses and in the clinical competencies’ courses in the lab setting.