- PhD (Nursing), University of British Columbia
- MPH, Simon Fraser University
- BSN, University of British Columbia
Honours and Awards
- Canadian Nurses Foundation, Dr. Ann C. Beckingham Award (2014)
- KT Canada, Strategic Training Initiative in Health Research (STIHR) Traineeship (2013)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Jonathan Lomas KT Doctoral Research Award (Prize) (2012)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Doctoral Award (2012)
- University of British Columbia, Four Year Fellowship (2012)
- UBC Graduate Student Initiative Scholarship (2011)
- Western Regional Training Center, Strategic Training Initiative in Health Research (STIHR) Traineeship (2011)
- Pacific Century Scholarship (2010)
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research, Masters Award (2009)
- Simon Fraser University, Graduate Fellowship (2009)
University of British Columbia
- University of British Columbia, School of Nursing, Scholarship, Teaching and Research Committee, Graduate Student Representative, 2011-2013
- University of British Columbia, School of Nursing, Elizabeth Kenny McCann Educational Research Project Awards, Review Committee, 2013
- University of British Columbia, School of Nursing, Graduate Students in Nursing Symposium, Prize Adjudication Committee, 2013
- University of British Columbia, School of Nursing, Bachelor of Science in Nursing Applicant Interviewer (Multiple Mini Interview), 2012
- Canadian Association for Health Services and Policy Research, Elected Executive Member at Large, 2013-2014
- Canadian Association for Health Services and Policy Research, Elected Chair of the Mental Health Theme Group Conference Planning Committee, 2012-2013
- Referee - Qualitative Health Research, BMC Public Health, Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, Advances in Nursing Science
- Knowledge Translation Trainee Collaborative, Elected Executive Committee Member, 2012-2014
- Knowledge Translation Trainee Collaborative, Annual Face-to-Face Meeting, Planning Committee, 2012
- BC School Centred Mental Health Coalition, Member, 2014-present
- 2015 Balancing our Minds Youth Summit, Planning committee member, 2014-2015
- Canadian Mental Health Association, Lorne Fraser Educational Fund scholarship review panel, 2014
I bring clinical expertise from the acute mental health setting and have developed a program of research focused on optimizing mental health and substance use outcomes for Canadians through collaborative, mental health promotion strategies; health services and policy development and redesign; and knowledge translation approaches. I have worked with youth and adult populations and in both rural and urban settings. My current research utilizes community engaged research approaches in the areas of mental health, substance use, and healthy public policy development. I seek to support the inclusion of patient and community voice throughout the research process to inform policies and programs that are evidence-informed and responsive to a diversity of lived realities. I have established myself at the forefront of the emergent area of community-based knowledge translation, an approach aimed at incorporating various forms of knowledge (e.g., scientific evidence, lived experience, tacit knowledge) to enhance population-level health outcomes.
I have methodological expertise in participatory research approaches, qualitative and mixed methods research, and knowledge translation.
Jenkins, E. Slemon, A., & Haines-Saah, R. (2017). Developing Harm Reduction in the context of youth substance use: Insights from a multi-site qualitative analysis of young people’s harm minimization strategies. Harm Reduction, 14:53. DOI 10.1186/s12954-017-0180-z
Oliffe, J.L., Creighton, G., Robertson, S., Broom, A., Jenkins, E., Ogrodniczuk, J.S. & Ferlatte, O. (2017). Injury, Interiority and Isolation in Men’s Suicidality. American Journal of Men’s Health, 11(4), 888-899. DOI: 10.1177/1557988316679576
Slemon, A., Jenkins, E., & Bungay, V. (2017). Safety in psychiatric inpatient care: The impact of risk management culture on mental health nursing practice. Nursing Inquiry, DOI: 10.1111/nin.12199
Ng, C., Haines, Saah, R. J., Hilario, C., Jenkins, E., & Johnson, J. L. (2016). Unpacking young people's narratives about their aspirations: A Bourdieusian perspective. International Journal of Child, Youth and Family Studies, 7(3/4), 423-455.
Jenkins, E., Kothari, A., Bungay, V., Johnson, J.L., & Oliffe, J. (2016). Strengthening Population Health Interventions: Developing the CollaboraKTion Framework for Community-Based Knowledge Translation. Health Research Policy and Systems, 14:65. DOI 10.1186/s12961-016-0138-8
Willis, C.D., Saul, J., Bevan, H., Scheirer, M.A., Best, A., Greenhalgh, T., Mannion, R., Cornelissen, E., Howland, D., Jenkins, E. , & Bitz, J. (2016). How can organizational culture change be sustained in health systems? A realist synthesis. Journal of Health Organization and Management, 30(1), 2-30. DOI: 10.1108/JHOM-07-2014-0117
Haines-Saah, R., Hilario, C., Jenkins, E., Ng, C., & Johnson, J.L. (2016). Understanding adolescent narratives about “bullying” through an intersectional lens: Implications for youth mental health intervention. Youth and Society, 1-23. DOI: 10.1177/0044118X15621465
Jenkins, E., Johnson, J. L., Bungay, V., Kothari, A., & Saewyc, E.M. (2015). Divided and disconnected—An examination of youths’ experiences with emotional distress within the context of their everyday lives. Health & Place, 35, 105-112.
Jenkins, E. (2014). The politics of knowledge: Implications for understanding and addressing mental health and illness. Nursing Inquiry, 21(1), 3-10.
Goldner, E.M., Jenkins, E., & Fischer, B. (2014). A narrative review of recent developments in knowledge translation and implications for mental health care providers. Canadian Journal of Psychiatry, 59(3).
Haines-Saah, R., Moffat, B., Jenkins, E., & Johnson, J. (2014). The influences of health beliefs and identity on adolescent marijuana and tobacco co-use. Qualitative Health Research. DOI:10.1177/1049732314539854.
Moffat, B., Jenkins, E., & Johnson, J. (2013). Weeding out the information: An ethnographic approach to exploring how young people make sense of the evidence on cannabis. Harm Reduction, 2013, 10:34.
Jenkins, E. & Goldner, E.M. (2012). Approaches to understanding and addressing treatment-resistant depression: A scoping review. Depression Research and Treatment, 2012, 1-7. doi:10.1155/2012/469680
Jenkins, E., Balneaves, L.G., & Lust, A. (2011). Students and international nursing shock. Canadian Nurse, 107(7), 26-30.
Goldner, E.M., Jeffries, V., Bilsker, D., Jenkins, E., Mennear, M., & Petermann, L. (2011). Knowledge translation in mental health: A scoping review. Healthcare Policy. 7(2), 83-120.
Goldner, E., Jenkins, E., & Bilsker, D. (2016). A Concise Overview of Mental Health and Illness in Canada (2nd Ed). Toronto: Canadian Scholars’ Press.
Goldner, E., Jenkins, E., Palma, J. & Bilsker, D. (2011). A Concise Overview of Mental Health and Illness in Canada. Toronto: Canadian Scholars’ Press.
- Mental health and illness courses in the undergraduate program