Dr. Mahon is currently serving a teaching role as an Adjunct Professor as well as the Clinical Research Scientist role at BC Children’s Hospital. Her main focus and specialization is in qualitative methods, and completed research projects include “Validation of a pain assessment tool for toddlers”, and “A critical ethnographic view of PICU nurses and the determinants of staff retention.”
- Doctorate of Health, University of bath, UK
- Post - Doctoral fellowship, UBC
- Clinical Research Scientist, British Columbia's Children's Hospital
- Investigator,Evidence to Innovation, BCCH Research Institute,
- Specializes in Qualitative methods
- Research and education on pediatric nursing, nursing environments and staff retention.
- Validation of a pain assessment tool for toddlers.
- A critical ethnographic view of PICU nurses and the determinants of staff retention.
- Validation of the Rainbow Pain Scale. Poster Presentation, SIOP, Cape Town, South Africa. 2015.
- Critical Ethnographic view of Pediatric Intensive Care Nurses. Poster Presentation, Canadian Critical Care Conference, Whistler, BC. 2015. (Honourable Mention)
- Using colors to assess pain in toddlers: validation of "the rainbow pain scale"-a proof-of-principle study. J Pediatr Oncol Nurs. 2015 Jan-Feb;32(1):40-6. doi: 10.1177/1043454214555197. Epub 2014 Nov 21. PMID:25416519. P. Mahon, L. Holsti, H. Siden, C. Strahlendorf, L.Turnham, D. Giaschi.
- The Fathers' Support Scale: Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (FSS:NICU): Development and initial content validation. The Journal of Neonatal Nursing. V:21 – 2 Pages 63-71, 2015. P Mahon, S. Albersheim & L. Holsti.
- Explaining why nurses remain in or leave bedside nursing: a critical ethnography. Nurse Res. 2014 Sep;22(1):8-13. doi: 10.7748/nr.22.1.8.e1271. P. Mahon & G. McPherson.
- Accommodating the learning needs and experiences of nurses and nursing students with hearing loss. J Nurs Care 2014, 3:187. U. Rasulov & P Mahon
- The Doctorate Experience and The Importance of Reflexivity in Critical Taught. J Nurs Care 2014, 3:180 P Mahon.
- From the Inside Out: A Critical Ethnographic Look at Pediatric Intensive Care Nurses Intensive and Critical Care Nursing, 2013. P. Mahon. (Sole Author).
- Scholarship and Research Showcase, A Critical Ethnographic View of Paediatric Critical Care Nurses (poster presentation), Langara college, Vancouver, BC, Canada, 2013.
- Using Colours to Assess Pain in Toddlers: Validation of ‘The Rainbow Pain Scale’, (poster presentation). Pediatric Research Day, UBC Dept of Pediatrics, Chan Centre for Family Health Education, Vancouver, BC, Canada, 2013.
- From the Inside Out: A Critical Ethnographic Look at Pediatric Intensive Care Nurses. (Oral presentation), PICH, BCCH, 2013.
- Global Nursing Leaders (oral presentation), Langara College, Vancouver, BC, Canada 2012.
- Options in higher education for nurses (oral presentation) Ethel John Nursing Research Forum, Vancouver, BC, Canada 2012.
- From The Inside Out (poster presentation), CIHR-Institute of Human Development, Child and Youth Health Scientific Forum on Global Health, BC, Canada 2010.
- A Critical Ethnographic View of Paediatric Critical Care Nurses (poster presentation), International Conference on Professional Doctorates, London, UK 2009.
- Leadership Gets A Lean Look In The PICU (poster presentation), Effective Health Leadership Conference, Canada, 2009.
- The Question of Personal Identity, UBC liberal studies website, Graduating Essay Abstracts, 2006.
Nursing research in pediatric environments at BCCH