Clinical Assistant Professor
- Doctorate of Health, University of bath, UK
- Post - Doctoral fellowship, UBC
- Clinical Research Scientist, British Columbia's Children's Hospital
- Investigator,Evidence to Innovation, BCCH Research Institute,
- Specializes in Qualitative methods
- Research and education on pediatric nursing, nursing environments and staff retention.
- Validation of a pain assessment tool for toddlers.
- A critical ethnographic view of PICU nurses and the determinants of staff retention.
- Validation of the Rainbow Pain Scale. Poster Presentation, SIOP, Cape Town, South Africa. 2015.
- Critical Ethnographic view of Pediatric Intensive Care Nurses. Poster Presentation, Canadian Critical Care Conference, Whistler, BC. 2015. (Honourable Mention)
- Using colors to assess pain in toddlers: validation of "the rainbow pain scale"-a proof-of-principle study. J Pediatr Oncol Nurs. 2015 Jan-Feb;32(1):40-6. doi: 10.1177/1043454214555197. Epub 2014 Nov 21. PMID:25416519. P. Mahon, L. Holsti, H. Siden, C. Strahlendorf, L.Turnham, D. Giaschi.
- The Fathers' Support Scale: Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (FSS:NICU): Development and initial content validation. The Journal of Neonatal Nursing. V:21 – 2 Pages 63-71, 2015. P Mahon, S. Albersheim & L. Holsti.
- Explaining why nurses remain in or leave bedside nursing: a critical ethnography. Nurse Res. 2014 Sep;22(1):8-13. doi: 10.7748/nr.22.1.8.e1271. P. Mahon & G. McPherson.
- Accommodating the learning needs and experiences of nurses and nursing students with hearing loss. J Nurs Care 2014, 3:187. U. Rasulov & P Mahon
- The Doctorate Experience and The Importance of Reflexivity in Critical Taught. J Nurs Care 2014, 3:180 P Mahon.
- From the Inside Out: A Critical Ethnographic Look at Pediatric Intensive Care Nurses Intensive and Critical Care Nursing, 2013. P. Mahon. (Sole Author).
- Scholarship and Research Showcase, A Critical Ethnographic View of Paediatric Critical Care Nurses (poster presentation), Langara college, Vancouver, BC, Canada, 2013.
- Using Colours to Assess Pain in Toddlers: Validation of ‘The Rainbow Pain Scale’, (poster presentation). Pediatric Research Day, UBC Dept of Pediatrics, Chan Centre for Family Health Education, Vancouver, BC, Canada, 2013.
- From the Inside Out: A Critical Ethnographic Look at Pediatric Intensive Care Nurses. (Oral presentation), PICH, BCCH, 2013.
- Global Nursing Leaders (oral presentation), Langara College, Vancouver, BC, Canada 2012.
- Options in higher education for nurses (oral presentation) Ethel John Nursing Research Forum, Vancouver, BC, Canada 2012.
- From The Inside Out (poster presentation), CIHR-Institute of Human Development, Child and Youth Health Scientific Forum on Global Health, BC, Canada 2010.
- A Critical Ethnographic View of Paediatric Critical Care Nurses (poster presentation), International Conference on Professional Doctorates, London, UK 2009.
- Leadership Gets A Lean Look In The PICU (poster presentation), Effective Health Leadership Conference, Canada, 2009.
- The Question of Personal Identity, UBC liberal studies website, Graduating Essay Abstracts, 2006.
Clinical assistant professor, UBC
Nursing research in pediatric environments at BCCH