President and CEO
Provincial Health Services Authority
200- 1333 West Broadway
- Doctor of Nursing Practice, American Sentinel University, Colorado, 2016
- BSN (Honours), University of British Columbia
- BA, University of Victoria
- MSN, University of British Columbia
Honours & Awards
- Dean's Medal of Distinction, Faculty of Applied Science, University Of British Columbia 2018
- Canadian Nursing Association, Canada's 150 most influential nursing leaders 2017
- 3M National Quality Team Award, 3M / Canadian College of Health Leaders 2015
- Practice Partnership Award, University of British Columbia School of Nursing, 2012
- Award of Distinction, College of Registered Nurses of British Columbia, 2010
- 2017-2019 Co-Chair Principal Nurses Advisory Task Force
- 2009-2010 President, Xi Eta Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
- 2007-2010 Executive Member, BC Lower Mainland Chapter, Canadian College of Health Service Executives (CCHSE)
- Past Co-chair Nursing Research Advisory Council, Michael Smith Foundation for Health Research
- Registered Nurses Foundation of BC Board member
- Leadership and Policy Committee, Academy of Canadian Executive Nurses
- UBC School of Nursing Advisory Council member
Through An Equity Lens: Illuminating The Relationships Among Social Inequities, Stigma And Discrimination, And Patient Experiences of Emergency Health Care.
Varcoe C, Browne AJ, Bungay V, Perrin N, Wilson E, Wathen CN, Byres D, Roberta Price E.Int J Health Serv. 2022 Jan 31:207314221075515. doi: 10.1177/00207314221075515. Online ahead of print.PMID: 35098791 Free article.
EQUIP Emergency: study protocol for an organizational intervention to promote equity in health care.
Varcoe C, Bungay V, Browne AJ, Wilson E, Wathen CN, Kolar K, Perrin N, Comber S, Blanchet Garneau A, Byres D, Black A, Price ER.BMC Health Serv Res. 2019 Oct 10;19(1):687. doi: 10.1186/s12913-019-4494-2.PMID: 31601199 Free PMC article.
Promoting health equity for indigenous people in emergency departments in Canada.
Study leads: Drs. Colleen Varcoe, Annette Browne, Vicky Bungay, David Byres, and Elder Roberta Price
Program of Outcomes Research on Treatment with Injectables for Addiction (PORTIA) with Oviedo-Joekes, Eugenia; Schecter, Martin, Bansback, Nicholas; Brissette, Suzanne; Byres, David; Harrison, Scott; Janmohamed, Amin; Macdonald, Donald S; Marchand, Kirsten I; Marsh, David C; Palis, Heather; Schechter, Martin T; Spittal, Patricia M; Tyndall, Mark W; Westfall, Jordan
Dr. David Byres is the President and CEO of the Provincial Health Services Authority, providing strategic leadership to ensure BC residents have access to a coordinated provincial network of high quality specialized health care services including BC Cancer, the BC Centre for Disease Control, BC Children’s and Women’s Health Centre, BC Mental Health and Substance Use Services, and BC Emergency Health Services. He has over 25 years of experience in the health sector, most recently as the Associate Deputy Minister, Clinical Leadership for the B.C. Ministry of Health. David previously held responsibility across a number of divisions in the Ministry including Primary Care, Pharmaceutical, Lab and Blood Services, Specialized Services, Population and Public Health, Health Sector Workforce and Beneficiary Services, and the Office of Indigenous Health.
David has served as the Executive Vice President for Providence Health Care and later as the Chief Nurse Executive for the Ministry of Health. His health career began in community mental health and as a registered nurse in medicine, mental health, community, and emergency settings.